The Project encompasses a service area of 18 counties covering 39,530 square miles, 24 percent of the state's
geography, and a population of 4,077,365 million, or over 11 percent of the state's population.
The project would reach over 1,973 communities within the proposed service area, most of which currently have access only to limited network speeds.
The proposed service area includes the following counties:
- El Dorado
- San Joaquin
Detailed descriptions of the technical components of the Project can be found here.
The goals of the Project are:
- Immediately connect via fiber 19 county offices of education sites, 14 community college sites, 3 CSU universities, 20 county/main libraries, and 7 public safety sites as anchor institutions to this new network
infrastructure that will connect to CENIC's existing statewide fiber-based backbone and beyond to the worldwide Internet;
- Expand CVIN's fiber-based infrastructure and wireless capabilities to facilitate the ability of the other anchor-related institutions in the community including
school sites, healthcare facilities, and community-based organizations,
to enhance their existing high speed networking capability;
- Enable CVIN and other providers to use the new network infrastructure to facilitate businesses, residences and government agencies to have access to high speed networking capacity;
- CVIN forge strategic relationships with existing local internet providers enabling them to connect their business and resident customers to Internet services
at more reasonable costs, one of the largest broadband adoption obstacles faced by most rural or underserved communities; and,
- Enhance the ability to reach the economic development goals of the 18 counties by having the required network capacity available for new businesses that might locate in these counties.
The cost of implementing this Project is estimated at $66.6 million. 70 percent of the costs have been requested from the NTIA, 10 percent
from the CPUC CASF Fund, and the remaining matching amount will come from the partners.